Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thrifty Christmas

I am pretty sure that everyone out there is thinking about cutting back this year for Christmas - I know I am. Aside from the complete absence of extra money to throw around, there's something so alluring about returning to the earthy, homey goodness of what Christmas is supposed to be. Here's what I've done so far:

We are just starting out as a family, so I didn't actually have any decorations. This may horrify you, but I hit my local Bibles For Missions and got a box full of garlands, wreaths, stockings and baubles for $10 or $15 bucks.

Also... (deep breath)... I bought second hand gifts for my daughter. A wooden rocking horse for $10 and a big bag of duplo for $3.

I am planning ahead too, so most of my gifts are going to be homemade, and our activities will be social as opposed to costly. I am even shopping a bit now for the food stuffs to get in on early sales.

One of my best finds was a big box of vintage christmas cards for $1, so I won't have to buy the cookie cutter ones from wal-mart.

What I am really trying to say is that I think one of the best ways you can save money this Christmas is by living deliberately - not by obligation. Slow down. Choose. Don't get caught up in our strive yourself to death culture. Take time this week (while you've still got time to plan) and think about what really matters to you, what your priorities are. Dream about what you want from this season, while you celebrate the great gift that God gave us. After that, it's easy to allocate money and time where it needs to go.

This year, my dream is that we will have a childhood Christmas - a crazy, eclectic tree, gifts from the heart, snow, hot chocolate, friends and stockings hung from the fire place. I want no part of the frenzied consumer death march that most people engage in. I want quiet evenings laying on the couch by the fire reading, playing & talking. I want love. Peace. Warmth.

Mmmmm....

1 comment: